Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 21:47:54 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Cameron Elliott <cam@elliott.net>, "multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG" <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor or Wincast/TV/PCI??

> On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Cameron Elliott wrote:
>
> > I apologize for splitting this into two messages.
>
> No problem, it's exactly what you should do.
>
> > I guess the primary question would be,
> > with optimal performance in mind,
> > should I purchase the Meteor or a Wincast/PCI?
> > or even an Intel or other Bt848 based card.
>
> The Bt848 based stuff is much newer and the Meteor can be hard to get a
> hold of in some places.
>
> If you already have a video card, there's no sense replacing it.  The
> Bt848 runs alongside your existing card, overlaying video through it's
> framebuffer.
>
> They're also cheap, checking in at less than $150, and that's the tuner
> models.
>
> (someone correct me if the meteor is also an overlay card like the Bt.
> I've not worked with the Metors yet.)

Technically, the meteor is perhaps a better video capture board. Its downside
its cost and it is not a PCI 2.0 compliant card which got us into trouble
with the Natoma Pentium Pro chipset.

Omnimedia sells a meteor clone for about $300 -- see their web site:
http://www.omt.com

Yes, I have used omnimedia's clone and I also own a matrox meteor.

The bt848 based cards are more versatile than the meteor cards and cheaper.
Additionally, the bt848 enjoys broad support from this group.

As for performance they are about the same and neither one kills your
system -- there is no comparison between the quickam like devices
and modern day PCI video capture boards.

As for h.261 encoding get the fastest cpu you can with a reasonable
memory subsystem --- sdram, edo , etc..

	Cheers,
	Amancio