Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 22:11:44 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hsu@cs.hut.fi, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

Bruce Evans writes:
 > >Yes, but Bruce, why can't we insert the simple #ifndef?  It doesn't
 > >break anything, but would allow interested people (with a `very
 > >special setup') to override it from the config file instead of hacking
 > >the sources over and over again.
 >
 > Because ifdefs are evil and simply changing RS_IBUFSIZE is not sufficient.
 > It must satisfy the following:
 >
 > 	TTYHOG - 2*RS_IBUFSIZE > 0 (much greater, < TTYHOG/2 would be silly)

Could it be sensible to make RS_IBUFSIZE ((TTYHOG)/4) ?  This would allow
tuning TTYHOG value only.  It would be a kludge, though.  Maybe serial
input should be handled differently from other typical tty processing.  I
do not know enough of the tty code to know whether it is useful to increase
TTYHOG value anyway (to me 1k sounds small for any purpose).

 > 	RS_IBUFSIZE - 11520 * (1.0/hz + max_softtty_interrupt_latency) >= 0

Btw, lots of ISDN "modems" like ZyXEL's are connected with overclocked
16650/16550 serial ports.  I have one at 460.8k.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN