Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 13:00:16 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fiskars UPS support...

Hiho people, time to talk of UPS'

We have a customer who'll be running a FreeBSD system (and associated
hardware) off a Fiskars UPS of some description.  In order to help us
out, they've supplied me with a complete description of the protocol
that the UPS uses for status reporting.

Now, I'm not averse to writing a monitoring daemon, but there are a few
issues that I (obviously) need to address with it, and it may well be that
there's someone out there who either has a skeleton for a UPS monitoring
daemon, or who just has the odd suggestion.

The crucial issue in this case is, once the UPS has sounded its death knell,
ie. power's out, and battery holdout is down to a few minutes, what should
one do?

If you decide to shutdown, and then power comes back, you're stuck
shutdown, waiting for the power failure to reboot you.
If you go single-user, can you arrange to have the daemon survive the
shutdown and send an appropriate signal to the root shell when the power
comes back?

Or would it be better to reboot and then as part of the boot process wait
for the UPS to give the all-clear?

Anyone with any experience is invited to comment 8)

(And yes, the resultant code will be available, and if anyone's particularly
interested in the raw protocol details, and can't get them from their local
Fiskars supplier, I'll produce a summary for you.)

No, I have nothing to do with Fiskars.  These customers are Swedes, don't
blame me 8)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[