Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 00:08:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Custom fixit disks?

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday,  3 August 1998 at 14:25:37 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I need to change a couple of utilities on the system fixit disks that I use...
> > The disks contents (when mounted under '/mnt') look kind of weird... All the

this is quite easy if you want to use the files in
/usr/src/release/floppies.

it is possible that they need to be updated for 2.2
but I checked them for -current today (and fixed them)

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
cd /usr/release
make obj
cd sysinstall
make obj
cd ../floppies
make obj
cd fixit
make

it should make a floppy image for you
you need to look at the file
floppies/fixit/crunch/crunch.conf to add utilities
see

man crunch

for more info
you might need to get the -current version of the crunch.conf files
if it doesn't work under 2.2

> What do you want to know?  How to change a utility?  It's part of the
> release build process, and so emetic that not many people bother.

I separated it out years ago, but it's rarely used..
you need to do a 'make buildworld first, but otherwise it's pretty
self standing.

> > Can anyone offer any pointers to more information on building fixit disks?
>
> Take a look at the 'release' target in /usr/src/release/Makefile.

or better yet, release/floppies/fixit

there is a subdirectory called 'verbatim'

any files in that directory when you build the floppy
will be coppied directly onto the floppy in addition to all the usual
stuff.. This allows you to add your own non standard files very easily.