Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2014 20:51:36 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Luis Suzuki <luissuzuki@live.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unable to mount SDHC memory card.

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:39:15 +0000, Luis Suzuki wrote:
> I WAS ABLE to mount on my laptop's internal SD drive a SDHC card,
> I remember that I read somewhere that it is related to an i slice
> or i partition and I did it,but now, I have tried /dev/mmcsd0pi,
> /dev/mmcsd0si,/dev/mmcsd0i,/dev/sd0i etc. and nothing works.With
> dmesg output it seems mmcsd0 is the name the system recognizes
> the card(I don't remember anymore if I used that).So,I need to
> know the exact name for the mount command.I already did the
> trick but I forgot it.Does anybody usually mount SDHC cards on
> FreeBSD? And how does it work? Thanks.

If a "re-taste" of the card is required, first run

	# true > /dev/mmcsd0

and the slice, corresponding to the "DOS primary partition" that
is stored on the card, will be found, the required device entry
will be available. This is the one you're going to mount. It will
usually be /dev/mmcsd0s1. You can use the shell's autocompletition
feature (press TAB or Ctrl+D) so you don't have to remember the
device name.

	# mount -t msdosfs /dev/mmcsd0[TAB]
	/dev/mmcsd0  /dev/mmcsd0s1
	# mount -t msdosfs /dev/mmcsd0s1 /media/sd
		... do stuff ...
	# umount /media/sd

If you find yourself using this command often, create an entry in
/etc/fstab, and then just use "mount /media/sd" (or whatever mount-
point you choose). :-)

But note that this example assumes you have a FAT formatted card.
If the file system on the card is in UFS, /dev/mmcsd0 (dedicated,
no partitions at all), /dev/mmcsd0s1a or /dev/mmcsd0s1d (MBR and
disklabel partitioned), or /dev/mmcsd0p1 (GPT partitioned) would
be the correct device to mount.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany