Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2023 23:35:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seeking recommendation: UPS for Freebsd

On Sat, 8 Apr 2023, Robert Huff wrote:

(lightly snipped)

> 	I have an older APC UPS (BackUPS RS 1500) that after years of
> excellent service _may_ need to be replaced.

Do check the batteries first. The lead-acid gel cells used in UPSes
don't last forever, and will need to be replaced now and then. If your
UPS is 10-ish years old or more, I'd suspect the batteries first.

> 	Is there a particular brand - or even model - that folks would
> recommend for a medium-to-heavy home office environment?  (This isn't
> the only UPS; it's just the only one causiong problems right now.)

I have two APC "Smart UPS C1500." I'm using them in just such an
environment, and I've been very happy with them. I bought them because I
grew weary of the consumer-grade garbage I'd been using. The APCs
absolutely do not draw attention to themselves.

> 	Budget is not unlimited, so I'm not looking for anything fancy;
> just something that will (with replacement batteries) just do its job
> for the next 15+ years.

The 1500s were neither expensive nor cheap. Between 300 and 400 USD each
if I recall. I'm not averse to paying a little extra for something that
will work right and not break. I chose this model because I'd used many
of them for projects at work; it's at the low end of "professional"
UPSes.

I can't really address longevity; I only got these maybe 6 years ago.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org