Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:11:05 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Jian Peng <jaypeng@crab.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0: device timeout

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 09:12:14PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > I have been trying to get a pcmcia ethernet card to work with FreeBSD
> > 2.2.6-RELEASE for months, and I have no luck yet. Hopefully someone will
> > help me out.
> > My laptop is a Acer Extensa 392c with Texas Instrument PCI Cardbus 1250
> > Controller. The two cards I tried are DAYNA Communicard E and ACCTON
> > EN2216-2. Both are NE2000 clone and on the PAO supporting list. I bought
> > the ACCTON card 2 weeks ago. Mr. Sizemore succeeded in getting a ACCTON
> > EN2216 (don't know -1 or -2) to work with a Acer Extensa 390 so I had
> > lots of hope on this one. (about the difference: I think the 392c and
> > 390 are quite the same; ACCTON EN2216-1 is a 10Base-T model, ACCTON
> > EN2216-2 is a 10BaseT and 10Base2 Duo, autodetect under win95).
>
> The 2216 autodetects in hardware.  (I used to use one).

I also have the "Duo" model, and I'm using it with 10BaseT.

> > What he
> > did is installing PAO patch by default and it works immediately.

Using the PAO kernel for 2.2.6, I was able to use the Accton 2216
successfully "out of the box" and the 3Com 3C589D by tweaking the irq
in the kernel config file to 11, rather than the default 10. (Ken
Key's suggestion.)

> PAO is not necessary for this.  I generally ignore messages referring
> to PAO because I don't run it and thus can't help with it.

Repeated statements like this one led me to abandon PAO and go with
the standard 2.2-stable package. Having a working ethernet
connection, thanks to the PAO kernel, I was able to cvsup the stable
sources, and make the world. Unfortunately, since that time, I have
been unable to build a kernel that works correctly with either of those
two ethernet PC cards on my Extensa 390.

> > I tried the same thing, either card was probed successfully. Name of the
> > card and right physical address was displayed. Then when I brought the
> > card up, I would always have a "ed0: device timeout" message. I even
> > could not ping my gateway.

My current experience with the Accton card is exactly the same as
Jay's - the ifconfig works successfully, but the ed0 times out, and
no traffic gets passed through it. The 3cd89d behaves slightly better
- ep0 gets properly ifconfig'ed and some traffic passes, but with
losses and latencies too high to be usable. Interestingly, this was
the same problem I originally had with the 3c589d and the PAO kernel,
which led me to purchase the Accton.

> Either you are not receiving interrupts, or your cabling is busted.

Cabling is not busted, since both Jay and I get the same results, and
the identical cabling works with Windows 95. I'm convinced (already)
that the problem is irq or iomem.

> > There are someting I have tried:
> > I tried to change the port, irq for pcic0 and ed0. First I tried to
> > follow all the information given by win95, then I found it makes no
> > difference. One interesting thing is: under win95, the controller is on
> > irq 9 and ethercard is on irq 10. However under FreeBSD, the only way I
> > got the card probed is assigning them the same irq.
>
> This may result in the card being probed, but it will never work like
> this.  The card *must* have a different interrupt.

Can we ignore the win irq's and look only at what freebsd reports?
e.g. there is presumably a modem on irq 11 which is not seen by
freebsd. Can I use irq 11? (I did so successfully under the PAO
kernel.)

The Accton card can use irq 2(9), 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15.
dmesg reports that irqs 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, and 15 are
detected at boot. I'm assuming that I can use 10 and 11 for ethernet,
even though the internal modem is supposed to be at 11. I have seen no
functional difference between 10 and 11.

> > I tried irq 10 and
> > irq 5 and I can not tell the difference. Though under win95 my build-in
> > sound card uses the irq 5.

This is one difference between my Extensa and Jay's - mine doesn't
have a sound card, and the PC controller (pcic) gets irq 5.

> This means that IRQ 5 is not available, and you can't use it for
> PCCARDs.

Even if bsd doesn't detect the sound card?

> > So please help. If you need more information about my computer, please
> > email me at jaypeng@crab.rutgers.edu.
>
> Simple:  let the pcic take the interrupt it's given.  Fill in the
> resource list in /etc/pccard.conf with the resources that are really
> free.  Insert the card.
>
> That's all it takes to make the 2216 work.

If that's all there was to make it work, mine would have been working
quite a while ago. It seems to me that there are two possibilities
remaining that could explain the differences in our experiences.
First, are you really talking about the situation in the release, or
stable branch of freebsd, and not current? (Jay is using 2.2.6-release,
and I'm using stable.) Assuming that we're talking about the same
code, then there must be some hardware differences in the Extensa
machines which make them behave differently than your expectations
(and mine). I've seen some anomalies with the PC card controller which
make me wonder if that might be at the root of the problem. I won't
detail them here, as this is already a pretty long message, but I'll
be happy to do so if anyone thinks it might shed some light on this
problem.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Everything other than PC card stuff, is working fine under the
2.2-stable system, but at this point, I'm seriously considering going
back to the PAO package, just to get an ethernet connection.
Since I'd have to wipe out everything (I think) to do that, I'd also
consider reinstalling stable or current, if you think that has a
reasonable probability of fixing the problem. I'd also consider
OpenBSD. (If all else fails, I might even be forced to consider
linux.)

Thanks for listening, if anyone has actually read this far. ;-)

Steve
----------------------------------------------#-----#--#####---------------
                                              #     # #     #
 Steve Sizemore                               #     # #
 Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology #     # #
 Box 0450, Room HSE-1285                      #     # #
 University of California Medical Center      #     # #     #
 513 Parnassus Avenue                          #####   ##### #####  #######
 San Francisco CA 94143-0450                                #     # #
                                                            #       #
 steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu                                      #####  #####
 (415) 476-6987  FAX: (415) 476-6515                              # #
                                                            #     # #