Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 2015 23:26:49 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        sbruno@freebsd.org, Marius Strobl <marius@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sparc64 doesn't care about you, and you shouldn't care about Sparc64

--------
In message <2AAC0EF3-528B-476F-BA9C-CDC3004465D0@bsdimp.com>, Warner Losh =
write
s:

>I concur.  I think sparc64 has had a nice run, but it's time to =

>recognize that the run is nearing its end.

The main reason we wantd to have sparc64 in the fold was that it
was the opposite sex than i386, and thus helped find endianess bugs.

The secondary reason was that it was 64 bit vs. i386's 32 bit.

Today we have other platforms which keep us honest in these respects,
and there is no longer an "objective" requirement to keep sparc64
alive.

R.I.P.

Poul-Henning

-- =

FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    =

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence=
.