Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 14:50:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   McAfee ViruScan for Linux works on FreeBSD..

Last night I looked at McAfee's FTP site for the latest NT virus scanner
(disappointing, the command-line version crashed on me when I ran it), and
discovered there is a Linux version available.  Today I downloaded it and
tried the ELF version on FreeBSD-current (there is also an a.out version).
It works great!  If anyone is serving DOS files using FreeBSD (or Linux of
course), whether through HTTP, NFS, Netware, WFW, or whatever, this is
probably a good tool to have.  Also, if you have a dual-boot machine, it's
probably faster to mount your MSDOS partition and check it (perhaps in a
cron job or /etc/daily) from FreeBSD, than to ViruScan it from within DOS!

---Jake

P.S.  All of these programs check for DOS viruses, as far as I know there
are no NT or Linux viruses floating around.  :-)