Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 18:53:10 +0800
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad kernel fried motherboard???

On Saturday 24 May 2003 20:27, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:16:21PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:

> > My question - is there any possibility that a misconfigured kernel co=
uld
> > harm the hardware? Or is it just a strange coincidence that "kernel
> > panic" was followed by real hardware failure?

> It's highly unlikely that booting up a FreeBSD or Linux kernel will
> lead to hardware failure due to bad or malicious coding --- the core

It turns out that the reset switch went bad - it was not the motherboard =
as I=20
thought. The kernel panic was indeed a misconfigured kernel - I hit the r=
eset=20
switch after I got the kernel panic message and the switch remained stuck=
=20
permanently in the reset position. A weird chain of events! Maybe no one =
is=20
interested, but remember, it could happen to you too.

regards,
Robert