Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:04:59 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why should I upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.4

At 09:37 AM 2/16/2000 , Matt Heckaman wrote:

>Personally, I had my best luck with 3.3, I've had a few problems with 3.4,
>though I'm not sure I can attribute them solely the to the OS. Regarding
>3.5 though, is there even going to be a 3.5? I'm under the impression that
>4.0 will be the next release, is this incorrect?

4.0 will be next, but since it won't be well tested in production applications
many users will stay with the 3.x-STABLE branch until 4.2 or later. We have a
policy: we never install a point release of FreeBSD less than .2 on a production
system. This isn't because earlier releases on a branch are NECESSARILY bad, but
because releases after .1 tend to be more stable and have fewer surprises. We
waited until 3.3 before moving our first servers to 3.x because of a rash of
fixes that were made shortly after 3.2 came out.

Once 4.0-RELEASE comes out, I'm hoping that folks will take the time to polish
up 3.5 and make it a "golden" release.

--Brett