Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:32:49 +0800
From:      David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
To:        "Dag-Erling =?utf-8?q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?=" <des@des.no>
Cc:        core@freeebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: away

=E5=9C=A8 Thursday 30 March 2006 18:55=EF=BC=8CDag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav =E5=
=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A
>=20
> David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org> writes:
> > I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> > the past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this
> > includes kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries
> > later, and gdb support for these new thread libraries from kernel to
> > userland everywhere, spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and
> > later make libthr to be best performance library for mysql and
> > possible other applications developed on Linux and make it run on
> > most platforms we current support.
>=20
> I've been reading and re-reading the relevant threads on -threads,
> -current and -developers.  The more I read, the less I understand.
>=20
> At the tail end of two days spent immersed in libthr, I sniped at you
> on -committers.  That was wrong.  I understand that you were insulted.
> I compounded my mistake by not apologizing immediately.  I'm not
> trying to defend that.
>=20
> To spell it out plainly, for the record: David, what I wrote to you on
> -committers was unfair and unprofessional, and I apologize.
>=20
> However, I do not understand how things developed from there.  I tried
> to start a technical discussion with you on -threads, explaining what
> I thought was wrong with libthr, hoping that you would understand my
> concerns, and hoping to work with you to correct and improve the code.
> This did not work out.  Perhaps you had already made up your mind to
> leave; perhaps you were too hurt to read anything but insult into
> anything I wrote.
>=20
I didn't have idea to leave the project just before your rush, I was
discussing with deischen@ about versioning things, and libc bump etcs.
and I wanted to get an approve from re@ to merge rtld locking from -HEAD
to RELENG_6 for libthr, I was still improving libthr, that's not even a fin=
al=20
shape, e.g, I had planned to implement C++ object destruction safe with
pthread_exit(), and implement a structure based not pointer based
pthread synchronization objects, can be shared between processes,
current FreeBSD does not support these, but other systems do!

of course, I am not satisfied with current umtx interface, I do know, I even
want to recreate a whole new interfaces to make things more clean,
I talked about lwp mutex which supports robustness and priority propagating,
the current umtx will be outaged, deischen@ should know this, I had
a private communication with him.

but your words really hurt me, you meant I should go back and study
CS lesson again ? this is definitly an insult.
I graduated from Computer Science in college in 1993 summer,  my first
programming language is Pascal learned in 1989, second is C, and third
is X86 assemble language, I studied how to operate a computer on VAX 8200
system, I still remember its green character on terminal and longer command
line than unix did, I also use unix system which to learn shell script,
I learned programming on PC, there is Apple II in lab, but I dislike it, PC=
 is=20
8088 based, only has 640K memory, but can run turbo C and Borland C++ etcs,
I wrote some very funny code, TSR, TUI (better than current
ugly freebsd installer!) my graduation task is to mannually setup a micro=20
processor using very simple chips and hundred of  physical lines, and use
switch to input micro code and data and strobe it into the chips, and run t=
he=20
program and print data on LED.
I learned how to programming in protect mode by 32 bit dos emulator,
figure out how to implement a GUI system, rectangle clipping, layer and foc=
us
management, 2D graphics clipping, etcs, the code is still on my old CD.
I touched Linux at 1997, used to be a system manager and a programmer,
needn't to day, linux's ealier version has serious performance problem unde=
r=20
load, so I went to FreeBSD, and met julian on net, started work on KSE.
The KSE work was started from zero, nobody knows how to make a full threaded
system, it was a very hard time, there was debate and rush, this made us
very bad, I don't want to say more. I picked up libthr and a rotted umtx=20
interface, try to make other peoples to believe that M:N might be not a rig=
ht
way to go, as I know it is very diffcult to make it SMP friendly, it's my
personal view, because I tried to implement a SMP scheduler and got the
feeling, I also fixed some stability bugs in ULE scheduler. I may be totall=
y=20
wrong.

> I am not trying to rush you, as you implied, and I would not commit my
> patch without your approval; if I did, I'd be out on my arse faster
> than you can say "backout war", and with good reason.
>=20
> My initial impulse was to tell you to grow a thicker skin.  I'm not
> going to say that, because it's stupid and insensitive.  What I'm
> going to say, instead, is this: I am only one of several hundred
> FreeBSD developers.  I have no special position or authority in the
> project.  My opinion of your work is not representative of that of
> other committers or of the project as a whole.  What's more, while I
> may disagree with some of the choices you made in the course of your
> work, I do not disapprove of your work in general.  You should not
> view my criticism of the umtx interface as more than what it is:
> criticism of one small part of your work from one single developer.
>=20
> In closing, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your decision to leave
> the project.  I don't think it's in anybody's interest to have you
> leave; and whatever you may think of me, it was certainly not what I
> intended when I started looking at libthr.
>=20
> DES
> --=20
> Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no
>=20
>=20
see above, I am in a bad mood, I don't know when I will return, wish you can
work better without me, I beg pardon if some mistakes I  made and some
words I said here brought inconvince to you and all other people.

Best wishes to all FreeBSD people.

David Xu