Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 95 12:01:34 -0800
From:      grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more on problems with PPP

> But I have found something else.
> When running over an ISDN "modem", ppp is going into a tight loop after
> a few minutes, preventing any further packets from getting through.

Yet further more information:
This bug was not reproducible last night, which sucks.  But I found a
_new_ problem (I was debugging this over the phone, so I couldn't get
a lot of information from the non-techie on the other end).  With the
appropriate configuration, doing a "ppp isdn", then a dial from within
the ppp worked fine.  But doing a "ppp -auto isdn" resulted in an error
after doing a SIOCIAFADDR (I think).  I don't remember the error string
off-hand, unfortunately.  This error happens sporadically when the
connection is explicitly established with "dial", but happens _every_
time with "-auto", before a connection is actually made -- that is, it
happens when ppp is trying to initialize the run interface (I assume),
_not_ when it makes the ISDN connection.  And yet it _only_ happens with
the ISDN connection (which also has a different configuration due to a
faster connection to the modem (115200), and a different ifaddr).

I just had enough time to look through the PPP code and find the one
place it occurred, but since it was only reproducible by my friend over
the phone, I'm not sure how to easily debug this.  So again, I'll ask
if anyone has seen this.

I haven't gotten much in the way of help with this stuff, so if you
haven't bothered answering because you figure someone else has probably
answered, please reconsider...

Thanks for any help.

	Steven