Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:09:44 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Matt Dillon" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        <Bsdguru@aol.com>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: RE: RE: Imagestream WanIC-520 interface cards

:-)  As I've said I run both - and each has it's strengths and weaknesses.
I've not had the problems you apparently did with gated.  However, I'll admit
that you probably ran it a lot earlier than I did, on a lot slower hardware
than
I, thus I'm benefiting from all the bug-squishing that you have done on gated
and FreeBSD.

I have found that CPU speed makes a huge difference.  I have had lots of
problems
trying to run BGP and gated on anything slower than a 400Mhz system.

>    If you are a small ISP and you have enough money to pay for two T1's,
>    you have enough money to buy a used router that can do BGP for you.
>    IMHO.

Probably for you or I because we both know Cisco and are familiar with the
ins and outs of their stuff and know where to get used gear.  But, if you do
it the Cisco Way, where you go buy a new 7206VXR with a service contract - no
way.

In our market, and I swear this is true, we have CLEC's that are selling
fractional T1's (split voice/data with add-drop DSU's) and they are charging
less than $50 a month for 768k or greater feeds.  It's competitive with DSL.
The customer pays for the voice lines which are maybe $1-$5 cheaper per trunk
than what the ILEC would charge, then gets in essense a free Internet feed.
Now, obviously the CLEC is planning on the company growing and adding trunks
onto that T1, because they are making their money off the voice circuits and
the call termination payments that the RBOC's are paying them.  So they
give away the Internet service as an enticement.  And, obviously it's crap -
I've used a few of them and your lucky to get 128kbits/sec on a "768k point to
point to the Internet"  And these same CLECS are also still not profitable
(according to the local business journal) and haven't been for years.  But,
the upshot is that it's tremendously depressed prices for point-to-point or
Frame service in our market.  It's a very hard sell to sell one of these
circuits now and we usually have to walk the prospect over to another of
our customers to demonstrate what a true 768Kbps is supposed to be like.

Now I don't know if we are just in a over-wired market, although PDX has more
Internet usage per capita than any other city in the country.  But, I've
heard about markets (like Phoenix) where there's only national providers and
a single regional provider, all the other regional providers have gone out
of business.  In those markets, yes, the regional provider that has enough
money to pay for 2 T1's probably can charge enough to afford a used router
that
will do BGP.  But, in markets like ours, the margins are far, far thinner.
You cut where it makes sense, and gated on FreeBSD makes sense for one of
our border routers, (probably also for a second, I just haven't gotten around
to replacing it)  Given a choice between spending on a lot of networking
hardware so we can say we are 100% Cisco, and spending the money on more
bandwidth, the choice is obvious.