Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:17:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange cross-build problem and something with GEOM

Replying to my own message:
---------------------------
> 2 60g drives, ad0 has a complete -stable on it, ad1 current.
>
> First, GEOM:
> On trying to do "boot0cfg -s1 /dev/ad0" to get back to booting stable,
> to try to recover from the next problem, I get "operation not permitted".
> This didn't happen with NO_GEOM...  Is there a new device name to use
> here?
>
> Unfortunately now I can't recover from the next problem without taking
> a drive (the system in question is remote; fortunately only a few miles).
>
> ================== Part 2 =============================
> Now for the cross-build problem:
> ----
> On building both stable and current under stable, I get a crippled cpp
> in current; it can't do *anything* right, and gets various errors in
> various situations.
> with source:
> ------------
> gooney# cat hello.c
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> main()
> {
>         printf("Hello, World!\n");
> }
> ------------------------------
> gooney# cc -o hello hello.c
> hello.c:1: undefined or invalid # directive
>
> If I add a comment in the first line, I get:
> gooney# cc -o hello hello.c
> hello.c:1: syntax error before `/'
>
> and the make world under current dies in the very first mkdep, before the
> first compile, with another cpp error:

Answer is: There was some cruft left over in /usr/bin; copies of
cc1 and friends, and cpp0.  Apparently the copies in /usr/libexec
get ignored if the progs exist in /usr/bin.  Cleaning those (and
a couple of old copies of perl too :-) out fixed the problem.

Now to get it so boot0cfg works under GEOM...

-- Pete