Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:56:01 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: known problems with 8.x and HP DL16 G5 server?

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 01:48:29PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> does anyone know of problems with freebsd and this system?
>
> the kernel We tried to boot seems to stop somewhere in the ahci probing.

Few things:

1) Possible to get full console output (e.g. serial, etc.) from a verbose
boot?

2) Can you also provide the exact release/tag/kernel/thing you're trying
to install or upgrade to ("8.x" is a little vague; there are all sorts
of changes that happen between tags).  For example 8.1 is not going to
behave the same necessarily as 8.2.

3) When you say "ahci probing", are you booting a standard installation
CD/DVD/memstick of, say, 8.2?  If so, those won't make use of the
AHCI-to-CAM translation layer (and that AHCI code is also different than
the native-ATA-AHCI code), so you might try, when booting the system,
dropping to the loader prompt and issuing "load ahci.ko" before typing
"boot".  See if that helps.  If it does, great, use it (ahci_load="yes"
in /boot/loader.conf) permanently (and benefit from things like NCQ
too).

4) If it's an Intel ESB2 controller, I believe there were some fixes or
identification shims put in place for this in recent RELENG_8, which
wouldn't be available in RELENG_8_2 or 8.2-RELEASE CD/DVDs.  I could be
remembering the wrong controller though.  Hmm...

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc@parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                     http://www.parodius.com/ |