Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:07:11 -0500
From:      mike grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SEMI-URGENT: Upgrade to 3.1 with (minor?) problems

Hi guys, we went to upgrade our news server this morning from 3.0 Release to
3.1 Release
using the 3.1 Release boot disks.

Everything seemed to go great, with no major hitches.  We rebooted the
machine
and things seemed to be fine, however,
we cannot log into the machine anymore unless as root and at console...

any other user gets this:

Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California.   All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE (GENERIC) #0: Mon Feb 15 11:08:08 GMT 1999

Welcome to alpha.insolwwb.net.

This server is for ISI internal use only.
Unauthorized access is expressly forbidden.

NO LOGINS: System going down at 18:00

hm... I can't figure out what the deal is... root does not get this message
at all, and
strangely enough accounts get this message even when logging in on the
console.

I thought it might have been a problem with sshd but this pretty much
eliminates that.

What do I check guys?  This is a new one to me.