Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:14:39 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   isapnp vs pci card: device_probe_and_attach

Hi,

I have put an older isapnp scsi card in my computer. For this card
there is (not yet) a driver for FreeBSD.
I also had some pci cards in there of course.

When trying to load the driver for the pci card I run into
	"device_probe_and_attach: %s%d attach returned 6\n"

This happens because the isapnp card seems to be on the same irq.
I can see this is I kldload a driver skeleton I had written for this
isapnp card.
Another way to make the pci card get an irq and load ok is to set the
irq in question from pci/pnp to isa in the bios so that the pci card
will use another one. But I think this might render the isapnp card
unusable.

Q: is this possible when there is no driver for the isapnp card
   (loaded) that the pci card fails to get the irq ?
   Isn't there a way so that the PCI card will use another irq
   and initialize correctly ?

Any comments or pointers to docs on this topics would help me.

56 69 73 69 74				http://www.zabbadoz.net/