Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 19:22:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and mail hub

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997 dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:

> Finally many sites are clamping down their sendmails to ward off spam. This
> bites me as my machine thinks its 10.1.0.1 and ID's as such. And with an

You should have given your machine a hostname.  Sendmail will use the
hostname when connecting to another mailer, and your mail user agent
(pine, elm, /usr/bin/mail, etc.) will use it too.

> unresolvable address like that many sites refuse mail from me. However at

Yep.  My sendmail refuses messages from unresolvable hosts.
On certain messages from certain hosts, I use the domaintable feature to
rewrite incoming headers from an unresolvable hostname to a resolvable name
in the same domain (i.e. if hostX doesn't have a DNS record for security
reasons, but sometimes sends mail to a customer, I use the domaintable to
rewrite

	hostx.subdomain.domain -> subdomain.domain

In your case, your mail user agent should have a method for defining your
email address as dkelley@hiwaay.net.  Thus, even though you are sending
from your own machine (which theoretically could be anything...don't use a
real domain name without permission of course) you can pick up your mail
off hiwaay.net's mailserver.

Other strategies include:

	registering a domain and asking your ISP to host it

	asking your ISP if they'll define a hostname for you and give it
	an MX record pointing to their mailserver

> this moment I'm also tnt1-47.HiWAAY.net. If sendmail knew to use that net
> name then I think my problem will be solved.

If that is a dynamically assigned IP address/name, it won't help you at
all.  If I try to send mail to that address right now, it'll end up being
refused (in 99% of cases people don't run their own SMTP daemons) or
in someone else's mail file ;(

> The other option is to forward all outgoing mail to my ISP at
> mail.hiwaay.net and let them handle delivery. Studying the bat book,
> http://www.sendmail.org, the docs in /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail, FreeBSD
> FAQ and handbook, etc., my head is spinning.

Yes, but it's far easier to send mail directly via Sendmail as you've been
doing, but defining your email address to be whatever it would be if you
were using hiwaay.net's SMTP server (e.g. dkelley@hiwaay.net)

> So I've started hacking on /etc/sendmail.cf just to see what kind of
> trouble I can get into (I'm the only user of this system, so I can only
> hurt myself, right?). This looked interesting in /etc/sendmail.cf:
>
> # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> DS
>
> So I changed it to:
>
> # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> #DS
> DSmail.hiwaay.net

That works too.

> Elsewhere I did the same thing for:
>
> # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> DMmail.hiwaay.net

BAD!  Your ISP will shoot you.  You should not masquerade as another host
without permission.

> So that's the background. The Real Question(s) are:
>
> 1) Is "Smart" relay host the Right Way to handle my problem? Have I done
> something that will bite me later?

That's certainly one way to do it.

> 2) How should I name my FreeBSD box which is not a full time system in the
> hiwaay.net domain?

Ask your ISP. It takes just a few seconds to add a hostname/MX record
for you.  If you wanted to be dkelley.hiwaay.net, they would just add

dkelley		IN	MX	5 mail.hiwaay.net.

to their DNS file for hiwaay.net and add

dkelly.hiwaay.net

to the /etc/sendmail.cw file.

They might charge you for this service.  You might also find out if they'll
sell you a static IP.  Then they could do this:

dkelley		IN	A	X.X.X.X
		IN	MX	5 dkelley.hiwaay.net.
		IN	MX	10 mail.hiwaay.net.

(Mail would queue on mail.hiwaay.net if you weren't online).
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions