Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:18:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root users shell == no existant shell /bin/bash

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Roger Marquis wrote:

> Where do people come up with these folk "rules"?  I spend all day
> working in various root shells as part of my job.  Couldn't do it
> otherwise.

It depends on what type of work you're doing, I suppose.  The idea is you
should only use root for things that are absolutely necessary.  In theory,
you should read man pages, investigate everything, and pull up a second
shell as root just it issue commands with it.  The reasoning is if there's
a bug in a program (like man, or lynx, netscape) you could hose the whole
system up if you're root (or get it infected).  On the less paranoid side,
a mistype as root could have rather bad consequences.

--
Matt Piechota