Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 14:58:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, dufault@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone keen to help me get a Phillips CDD 521 Recorder working?

> Putting a CD-R on a FreeBSD machine is a nice goal, but what is being
> done to ensure CD-R's are not starved.  CD-R drives need some type of
> guarenteed real-time access.  Big buffers in CD-R help but I've seen
> UNIX boxes slow down to a crawl before.  This is why we use the Young Minds
> CD-Studio for our releases in an UNIX environment.  It may be expensive

We have the YMI gear ourselves, and have multiple burner boxes
scattered across different platforms, but that's no reason not to try
to push the envelope a little.. :-) We've been wanting to see if this
was even *possible* for awhile now.  Now at least one of us has
something that we can try a few proof-of-concept pokes at.

					Jordan