Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2017 08:23:24 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Downloading with lynx or w3m, how to download as is, without gratuitous gzip

> > Thomas Mueller skrev:

> > I don't use lynx (text-mode web browser) much, but have run into a problem that I never had before.
> > Lynx, and also w3m, download what are supposed to be text files and then I see the gzip'ed version on the hard drive.

> > Lynx used to download files as is!

> > I looked through "man lynx", also /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg, and couldn't figure how to disable the annoying, gratuitous gzip.

> > Mozilla Seamonkey and Firefox can download straight without altering.

> > My previous experience was that Lynx was trustworthy and would download files as is.

> For w3m you can try to set 'auto_uncompress 1' in ~/.w3m/config.

> Herbert

Documentation on Lynx and w3m are awful hard to find!

I couldn't find anything on auto_uncompress or anything else that might be put in ~/.w3m/config.

If the file on the server is already compressed, for instance a tarball, then I want to download it that way.

But a browser/downloader has no proper business compressing a file to be downloaded.

I might try on a NetBSD installation where I believe I installed lynx to compare the download automatic gzip behavior.

Tom