Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ssh/xmalloc problem with 3.3-STABLE

I have a process that copies files from one machine to another as a cron
job using rcp and ssh between two FBSD boxes. All has been working well
for some time until this weekend when I updated the sender machine to
3.3-STABLE (CVSupped on Friday) from 3.2-STABLE. The recipient machine is
a 3.2-STABLE box and now when I try to connect to it with ssh, it
disconnects immediately with a syslog entry of:

	fatal: xmalloc: out of memory (allocating 1040068859 bytes)

The wacko memory allocation comes up the same each time. Obviously
something somewhere got hosed. I rebuilt the ssh(1) port again on the
recipient machine to no effect. I can ssh from the 3.3 machine to itself
with no problems... it just can't connect to the 3.2 machine now for some
reason. Oddly, ssh on the 3.2 recipient machine reports as version 1.2.27
while the 3.3 machine's ssh (just rebuilt) says 1.2.26.

Anybody have any idea what broke?

TIA...

-Dave