Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:32:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
Cc:        Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis@gte.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, se@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq built-in ncr & tl controllers with 4.0

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Michael Reifenberger wrote:

> Hi,
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> > We then tried to boot with the 3.1 and the 4.0 boot floppies.  Neither was
> > able to find the SCSI controller or the ethernet device.  Of course, we find
> > it odd that 2.2.8 found the devices ok, but newer releases do not.  As far
> > as I can tell, the hardware is supported by CAM, etc. (I have a Tekram 390F
> > 53c875-based card in another 4.0 machine that works great).  The installs
> > failed with the complaint that no disks could be found to install on.
>
> I have the same symptoms with an Compaq Proliant 1600.
> The cause seems to be that these machines have more than one PCI-Busses which
> lay behind on PCI-PCI-Bridges and only one gets probed/found under 3.*, 4.*.
>
> Furthermore under 2.2.7 the Busses seems to get probed but in an different order
> than the BIOS does because the ncr for the internal disks (which gets probed
> first by BIOS) is probed last by the Kernel and im my case the BIOS-drive C:
> gets da2. Verry annoying if Disks get added into the cabinet... :-(
>
> Do the symptoms trigger some Ideas by someone?

It may be that we aren't detecting the bridge properly in the 3.1 pci
code.

On the subject of probe ordering, I know about this. We probe the pci bus
tree in breadth first order (i.e. we finish probing all the devices in the
top bus before probing bridges attached to it).  I guess most other
systems (including your BIOS) use a depth first order which means that the
contents of the bus behind the bridge is probed before it goes onto the
next device at the top level.

I may end up changing this so we probe in a depth first order due to some
other changes I am making to the pci code.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com