Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:39:01 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
Cc:        Chris Hodgins <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: If I have portmanager, do I need portupgrade?

On Mar 13, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:38 pm, you wrote:
>> Michael C. Shultz wrote:

>>> Not for upgrading.  portsclean (a part of portsupgrade package) is
>>> a nice feature of portupgrade, so is pkg_which and a few others so
>>> I keep portupgrade around just the same.
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>
>> How long does it take to run portmanager.  Is it a similar amount of
>> time as portupgrade for each run?
>>
>> Chris
>
> That is a tough question here is how it tends to work for me:
>
> First I run it everyday since I'm developing it I have to know if there
> is anything changed in ports that is going to cause portmanager to
> crash.  Most days it takes less than an hour, but sometimes when
> just one lower level port like gettext for example is updated it may
> take 24 hours to finish.  I'm using a 1ghz machine with both gnome
> and kde (all together about 300 installed ports) as an example.
>
> Here is exactly how portmanager works:
>
> First dependent ports that are out of date are upgraded, then
> everything
> that depends on them are upgraded.  portupgrade does not work this same
> way so the time comparison is very tough to predict.

Just to add some experiences, I've been using Portmanager for probably
a few months now (would need to check through old postings and notes to
find out for sure) and have found it to be about the same amount of
time for doing updates as portupgrade, but there's less babysitting of
the server and I've not had any trouble using Portmanager.  There was a
bug that caused a loop in some updates but Michael fixed it in a very
short amount of time and released the fixed version.

It doesn't seem to rely on the index for the ports, so it may actually
be faster.  I don't have to run any operations to fix or reindex my
ports as I've had to do sometimes in the past with portupgrade.

Portmanager has made most of my updating a no-brainer, and I've been
thankful that Michael was fast to fix problems when I reported what
little I ran into.  And this is on an in-use production server....I
trust it with the updates, so either it's a program that works very
well or I've been very lucky :-)

I'd definitely recommend new users try using Portmanager for keeping
their ports up to date.  It is simple and straightforward to use and
doesn't confuse newer users with details like manipulating the ports
index.  It's just a "portmanager -u" and off it goes...check in once in
awhile to see how it's progressing and that's it.  Makes updating as
simple as the process of installing a new port :-)

-Bart