Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:28:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com (Zach Heilig)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 programming...

>I know I should get a book, but I haven't figured out which of the available
>books are good.  Any hints here would be appreciated (cost isn't really a
>very big issue; <= US$500 would be great).
>
>So, I thought I would see how far I could go just reading the man pages.
>Basically, I am just trying to get a window (white... or actually _any_
>background) up on the screen.  This is as far as I have gotten, but I just
>can't seem to get the window to display.  I don't get any compile errors or
>run-time errors (anymore :-), but still I get nothing.  I wonder what I am
>missing?

[ DELETED ]

You have missed several steps. Please go and buy the following books. You
will save yourself a lot of grief if you read and understand the examples
in the books.

    1.  Motif Programming by Marshall Brain

    2.  X Windows System Programming by Naba Barkakati

    3.  Motif Programming Manual, Vol. 6(A|B) by Dan Hellar & Paula
        Ferguson

You also should buy Motif for FreeBSD from XI Graphics. Their URL is
http://www.xinside.com. You will find it much less painful if you program
at the X Toolkit level instead of working at the Xlib level.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       | Laugh while you can, monkey boy ! |    FreeBSD 2.1.6
jgrosch@sirius.com |          - John Warfin -          | UNIX for the masses