Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 95 16:18:05 PST
From:      Bill Taylor <eod@waun.tdsnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange 2.1 build fail, WC CDROM

This is very puzzling.

I have a packard bell pentium(133) with a double ide
controler. I have a floppy and a Colorado/HP t1000 tape
unit on the floppy controller.

The first half of the ide cntrl(wdc0) has two drives
which get reported as a conner perpherals 2114 meg disk.
The matushita cdrom and   a seagate 850meg disk are on
wdc1.

I have svga, 16 meg ram, packard bell modem/sounnd card, and
a PCI 8432 ethernet card.

The floppy build (atapi) runs just fine for the 850 meg drive
wd3. It loads up fine annd  both wdc0 at 14 irq and 0xwhatever
is there AND wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 at irq 15.

When I boot from the hard disk after the build, it can not
find wdc1 and the world comes to a screeching halt.  If I
build using a 850 meg partition on this conner peripherals
double/single disk thing. The system locks after building the
file systems and starting to transfer system image.

The fellow I talk to at Walnut Creek could not understand why
the geneic kernel would have any more trouble than the floppy
kernel at finding both parts of the  controller.

Help please.......

Name: Bill Taylor
E-mail: Bill Taylor <eod@waun.tdsnet.com>
Date: 12/29/95