Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:25:02 -0300
From:      joaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2/3D rendering cards

Olivier Smedts wrote:
> 2012/7/25 joaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>:
>> that is 3D or 2D or both?
>
> Both.
>
>> I am aware of it and missing gallium driver, because same Ati card on
>> Fedora works full 3D and openGL stuff, stable and clean, while on
>> FreeBSD it does xRender only
>
> Same for me.
>
>> thanks for having answered this, I still appreciate if you could be more
>> specific on the nv/nvidia driver with not commercial driver
>
> With nv you won't have 3D, and only parts of 2D accel I think. You may
> have something better with nouveau, but I don't know its actual state
> on "official" ports without using patches or 3rd-party ports.

here comes some [surprising?] news

ati cards can do 3d with xorg 1.10 and kde4

I have the same ports versions as Warren provided earlier, everything
according to xorg-server 1.10 from actual ports tree with WITH_NEW_XORG
in make.conf

after playing with xorg settings, from glxinfo I saw some times instead
of Rasterizing:

Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

was motivated me to recompile ligBL, libdrm and dri one-by-one

surprisingly I got then

OpenGL renderer string:
	Mesa DRI R600 (RV610 94C3) x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL

even if all dependencies were ok before and pkg_libchk did report
nothing wrong, something must have been wrong

but then I got the same mess on another machine, my eventual fast
conclusion is that libGL and lidrm must be compiled after xorg-server
upgrade

anyway ... so now I have 3D?

but not quite

after trying several xorg.conf settings, with recommended settings and
no xorg.conf at all, I ever saw this

[ 14699.367] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 14699.368] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[ 14699.371] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 14699.371]    compiled for 1.10.6, module version = 1.0.0
[ 14699.371]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
[ 14699.371] (==) AIGLX disabled
[ 14699.371] (II) Loading extension GLX

after some tries I configured this in xorg

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "CARTAO"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "Monitor-VGA-0" "LEFT"
    Option      "Monitor-DVI-0" "RIGHT"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "DHEAD"
    Screen         "VGA-Left"
    Screen         "RIGHT" RightOf "LEFT"
    Option         "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

no section for modules, no extension and flags and I now get this

[    37.140] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[    37.141] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[    37.162] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    37.162]    compiled for 1.10.6, module version = 1.0.0
[    37.162]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
[    37.350] (**) AIGLX enabled

even is it not relevant but as test, it runs perfect and stable the cube
... in all directions over both monitors, nice :)

I still had a minor setback, xorg crashed always when a modal window
"glided" in

first I thought no problem, I can do without, then I saw it on another
machine working flawless

after removing the whole ~/.kde4 which came from kde4.7 I got it stable
on my login

some test on other machines showed that there also the problem existed,
so who upgraded from kde4.7 to 4.8 could have some crap leftover in
~/.kde4 which cause xorg to crash

I hope this can be helpfull for somebody somewhere ...

[]s

--

Joćo Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team