Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 05:21:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG, tarasd@visiondb.com.au
Subject:   Re: AHA-2940 Ultra/Ultra Wide

> G'day all,
>
> I'm a sysadmin rather than a developer, so excuse me if this
> isn't the correct list.
>
> I've found various discussions on this topic, including talk
> of patches and upgrades to bios, etc, but still can't find the
> definitive answer.
>
> I have 2 machines, m1 is my personal workstation, and m2
> runs a web server for a customer, and both run 2.2.2-RELEASE.
>
> m1 has an AHA-2940U (bios 1.23),
>           64Mb RAM,
>           2 * IBM DORS 32160,
>           other bits and pieces,
>           1 external Jaz.
> m1 works exceptionally well.
>
> m2 has an AHA-2940UW (bios v1.25),
>           128Mb RAM,
>           2 * Quantum Fireball ST6.4S (scsi #1 is broken at the
> moment),
>           1 internal Jaz.
> m2 doesn't work at all well. It usually hangs after issuing
> the messages similar to those below to the console. However on this
> occassion it was during a boot. It may run for 1 hour, it may run for
> 1 day, but usually no more.
>
> Mind you, m2 was working OK before I put the Jaz drive on.
> So it could be the termination. Its the last on the chain and
> I'm using the terminator that Iomega shipped. I can 'soak' the
> jaz drive by writing/reading large tar files to/from it, and
> it doesn't break. Walk away and some random time later its frozen.
>
> Can someone help me out on this, is it the 2940 bios,
> the aic7xxx driver, SCSI termination, or something
> completely different ? I'm quite happy to provide whatever
> information anyone requires.

There have been some changes to the ahc driver since 2.2.2-RELEASE.
I think you want to upgrade to 2.2.2-stable or the iminent (sp?)
2.2.5-RELEASE.

I'd also suggest using one of your disk drives to terminate the bus,
and not your JAZ.  Perhaps someone else can comment on whether your
QUANTUM FIREBALL ST6.4S 0F04 needs firmware upgrades?  Are you uising
tagged queueing?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org