Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 1995 17:39:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Detecting the ft driver..

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I've never used a floppy tape under FreeBSD and am about to assume
> that if I can open /dev/ft0, a floppy tape exists (I won't use it
> directly as I know about the necessity of ft, but I just want to be
> able to "probe" it this way).
>
> Any reasons why this won't work?

I realize that this answer is late, but 'ya know why.

It should work.  ft.c tracks the probe status within ftopen(), and it
returns either ENXIO (unit number out of bounds) or ENODEV (probe
failed).  The error code is bogus (Operation not supported by device,
should also be ENXIO instead), but it should satisfy your needs.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/