Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:27:31 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Legacy ethernet cards in FreeBSD

Dear All,

Last night I cvsupped my trusty old Compaq Deskpro XL 6200 from 4.0-release
to 4.2-beta. As part of that process, I seem to have lost support for the
on-board NIC (lnc0: PCNet/PCI Ethernet Adapter, PC-net-32 VL-Bus).

What is the newest version of FreeBSD that will propely support that card?

If there are people who are cleaning up the support for older network cards
in FreeBSD I'd like to help out by sending you my old NICs. It's not like
they're any good to me without OS support.

Please contact me off-list for any of the following cards:

  3Com 3c503        ISA
  DEC Etherworks    ISA
  DEC DE205         ISA
  SMC EtherEZ       ISA
  RealTek "TP-Link" PCI

As far as I've been able to determine, none of these work properly. In
particular, the RealTek card gets detected and pretends to work, but loses
the link after a bit (The link status LED goes out, and I need to reboot the
box.)

I'll be happy to try out patches for the lnc driver to fix the problem of
the Deskpro, or to give remote access to it if you want to work on it.

    Kees Jan