Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:13:17 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: Porting op to FreeBSD

On Tuesday 19 July 2011 14:56:36 Matt Dawson wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	Apologies if I'm posting to the wrong list, but this one looks to
> have more USB knowledge than general ports. Just LART me if I'm
> mistaken and I'll post to ports@. I'm trying to port this:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openprogrammer/files/OP/op_0.7.9.tar.gz
>
> to FreeBSD and have run into a brick wall (my lack of knowledge,
> basically). It uses Linux' hiddev to communicate with the
> OpenProgrammer hardware, which isn't compatible with our usbhid. The
> ioctls and structs are very different. The programmer itself has a
> uhidX device node and seems to be fine under FreeBSD.

Hi,

There are many ways to achieve your goal. The simplest one might be to compile
the Linux HID layer into the webcamd deamon and have a compatible interface.
This means no porting effort.

You will have to checkout and install the linux_make tool from the I4B SVN,
referred to from the webcamd (/usr/ports/multimedia/webcamd) homepage:

http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/video4bsd/

And add some config entries to the config file for the HID layer, and possibly
also resolve a few compile issues.

--HPS