Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2019 11:07:40 -0800
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 on Ryzen 2400G?

On 1/30/19 9:57 AM, Phil Norman wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I recently got a Ryzen 2400G, which has on-board AMD Vega 11 graphics. I
> can get a console to display via the motherboard's on-board HDMI, but
> haven't been able to get Xorg working yet. I'm trying the 'amdgpu' driver,
> and am using an xorg.conf file generated with 'Xorg -configure' (albeit
> hand-tweaked to get rid of the nonexistent second screen it added, and fix
> a few more things).
>
> My understanding is that the driver is likely borrowed from linux, and
> (from http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=46887) Vega support only
> started working with linux kernel 1.19. The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file says
> that the amdgpu module was 'compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 18.1.0'.
> Does the 1.18.4 refer to a linux kernel version? If so, what's my best
> solution here? Should I just wait until the FreeBSD drivers are updated? Is
> there anything I can do in the meantime?

I believe there may be some previous success running Vega graphics on
FreeBSD.  Couple things to note:

- If possible run 12.0-RELEASE
- install the drm-kmod package, then closely follow the instructions
printed on your console.  This wiki section should offer some help:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#AMD_Graphics
-- pay special attention to the update the /boot/loader.conf

- after you have configured the amdgpu.ko to load on boot verify it is
able to load the kernel module and your console display looks good.  if
you have issues loading the kernel module let us know, there are some
things you can try to setup to get a useful backtrace that will help us
debug this.

- try moving your Xorg.conf out of the way then try starting X.
-- If that fails try dropping your custom config in there which is using
the amdgpu Xorg driver.

Hope this helps!
-pete

--