Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 15:03:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jared B." <jaredb@excel.net>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plug and Play Modems

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Jared B. wrote:

> I plan on soon installing FreeBSD onto my system. I have a Supra 336i PnP
> modem, and I am aware that there are some problems with using Plug and Play
> modems on *nix.

Yes; Most UNIX systems don't support Plug&Pray.

> I'm wondering, if you know whether or not my modem will work, and if so
> is there anything special I will need, like special drivers or steps to
> take?

I know about the Supras; they have jumpers.  Use the jumpers to set the
modem to whatever COM port you like, then feed those settings to FreeBSD.

Optionally:

1.  Set `Plug & Play OS' in your system BIOS to `None' or `No'; this
forces the BIOS to configure the PnP devices itself.

2.  Install Sujal's PnP patches to add PnP support to the system.