Date:      Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:24:15 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, marcus@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gamin 0.1.7

> The problem is that the two pollers behave differently.

Let's unify them!

> I don't want to use their poller.

And then why you want to use gamin? Create a fork. They generalized the
polling system so that every backend can use it in a consistent way.
Inotify and dnotify already use it. And in any case you can override the
default settings in your configuration file.

> My point is that it's better to ask the system if a filesystem is
> remote rather than hardwiring a few known remote filesystem names.

I may agree, but the 0.1.5 version was doing it? No, so this is a
desiderable enhancement, not a reason to rollback.

> Before it forked the executable specified in GAMIN_DEBUG_SERVER rather
> than using the already running gam_server, so I could test the backend
> without disrupting my GNOME session. I want that behaviour to be
> restored.

I don't know what was doing before, but I didn't touch that part of code
and it's exactly identical to 0.1.5. Tests work. Again, this is not a
reason to rollback.

> The bind() call in gam_listen_unix_socket() fails if the file already
> exists. My patch addressed that issued by unlinking the already
> existing file.

And this is what is done even on 0.1.7. Look at the code, the cleanup
step is always called.

To summarize, I don't say my changes are the final solution, as you
noted we can unify the behaviour of polling code and surely add many
other interesting features, but keeping an old static and bugged release
it's not better.
If marcus, as he said, this night will make the basic polling code
coeherent with kqueue (by replacing stat()->lstat() and by adding the
few missing checks on stat fields) I think we'll have a good stable
gamin base on which we could work for enhancements.

--
Alex Dupre