Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:55:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8200

On Thursday,  1 October 1998 at 20:57:30 +0100, Duncan Barclay wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've have just picked up a Exabyte 8200 from a fire sale at work (almost free).
> This appears to be fine for use at home and as something is better than nothing
> when it comes to backups.
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me out on working out how
> to use it/point me to manuals? It seems to be working, although I haven't got
> any tapes in it yet, it probes fine etc.

I hope the head is in good condition.  Otherwise you may have paid
more than it's worth.  Anyway, use any standard utility.  Apart from
the sighing and wheezing noises it makes when loading and starting
(which are *very* slow), it should work fine.

> The model I have has an LCD panel over the drive door. When the drive powers up
> it asks me to select a compression mode, there is a small round button on the
> LCD which toggles a little "C" on the LCD, next to a "2". There is also an
> extra card plugged into the SCSI connector which I think controls the LCD.
>
> This model doesn'y seem to be a standard Exabyte model

Indeed.

> and markings on the chassis don't tell me much.
>
> I'm going to try and get manuals from work (but they may be in the
> bin...)

You can probably find them at http://www.exabyte.com/ once you've
established what it really is.  The 8200s (and 8500s) I know don't
have LCD panels.

> Any suggestions as to which brands of tape are good/bad etc. I only need to
> back up a few hundred meg. on it at home (everything else is on CDs or CVSup!)

Exabyte recommends *only* Exabyte tapes (surprise, surprise).  They're
made by Sony, so my tame Exabyte expert at Siemens-Nixdorf says that
Sonys are probably the best bet.  Make sure you get a cleaning
cassette as well.

Greg