Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 20:31:47 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: v6 issues

> Garrett Wollman writes:
>  > <<On Fri, 15 May 1998 00:37:07 +0200, Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org> said:
>  >
>  > > There's a BIG difference: almost everybody on the Internet will
>  > > have to run IPv6 sooner or later.
>  >
>  > More likely later than sooner.
>  >
> This should be going off onto a *-chat list but I would say that IPv6
> is likely to happen sooner than one might think. It's the usual way
> with many things. Then we'll all be running WinNT if you keep your
> attitude.

Given that there is no real support in the routers used in the backbone
for the Internet for IPv6, I think the characterization of "later" rather
than "sooner" is quite correct.  Yes, yes, you can get code to test from
major router vendors that implement some version of IPv6, but none of the
large backbone operators are likely to put their infrastruture at risk
to run experimental code.

The other consideration is that there is no real demand from ISP customers
for IPv6 support.  I know this as I work for one of the large Internet
backbone operators, and I worry about this issue.

That having been said, IPv6 will be deployed from the "edges" of the
network inwards toward the backbone.  Islands of native IPv6 will be
interconnected over the existing IPv4 Internet *long* before there is
native IPv6 connectivity between arbitrary end-systems.  So having a
v6 stack in FreeBSD will be a useful thing.  But please keep the
larger picture in mind so that you won't be disappointed.

louie