Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:56:19 +0200 (EET)
From:      Seppo Kallio <kallio@beeblebrox.pccc.jyu.fi>
To:        Morini Stefano <ssteve@ns1.tizeta.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passwd linux and FreeBSD

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Morini Stefano wrote:
> --
> Morini Stefano
>
> On my System I have 200 user account on linux system. I don' t know
> password of my users.
> Is it possible use crypt password linux system and migrate on FreeBSD
> system.

You must have DES crypt installed. Default is MD5 in FreeBSD. Legal DES
is eurocrypt (ftp.funet.fi /pub/unix/FreeBSD ... )

It goes something like this (if you can use emacs)

1. copy linux /etc/passwd to FreeBSD system
2. setenv EDITOR emacs
3. vipw
4. esc > (that is: go to the end of passwd file)
5. C-x i (that is: read the linux passwd file to the end of FreeBSD passwd
file)
6. Make a little keyboard macro and add the extra ::0:0  after
   group id to every linux passwd file line. Something like:
   C-x ( C-a esc 3 esc x search-forward : ret ::0:0 C-n C-x )
   esc 200 C-x e
7. Delete root etc. from linux passwd lines (duplicates)
8. exit vipw (that is: C-x C-c y)

If emacs is strange to you:

1. Edit the estra ::0:0 into linux passwd file somehow to every line
   and delete root etc. duplicate lines.
2. Goto vipw and add the modified linux passwd file to the end of
   FreeBSD passwd file

3. Exit vipw

Seppo
U of Jyvaskyla