Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:47:58 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Be=F1at?= Gonzalez Etxepare <bbtruk@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        sam@cassiba.com
Subject:   Re: Slave ports

> There are some ports under net-p2p that have qt and gtk slave ports.  A
> couple others I can think of off the top of my head are apache22 and
> php5.  Those areas should be good starting places to look over to give
> you an idea of how to do it.

Sorry for not answering sooner, but I have not been able to study in
depth earlier the examples you told me.

Now, after having tried to understand better what slave ports are, I am
not sure they are the right way to handle my problem. From my
understanding they are used between different configurations or parts
of the same application, so they share almost entirely the same
Makefile.

In my case, I need to compile a new port (Double Commander, a file
manager) which depends in some other totally different port (Lazarus,
an IDE).

With Lazarus you are able to compile applications for the toolkit you
choose: QT or GTK2. Lazarus itself is compiled using one of them
(which can be selected using Makefile's options). All programs compiled
with Lazarus should use the same toolkit as the IDE. For this, I can
get the selected option from a configuration file (written by Lazarus
port) using the != assignment, but it is discouraged. So I need to do it
some other way.

Are slave ports suited for this (getting a chosen option from some
other port)? or is there some other way to solve this?

If I'm not being very clear with my problem, tell me and I will try to
explain better, because right now I am quite lost at how to solve this
in the right way.