Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 09:18:13 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: print/gs4

> On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>
> > 	cd print/gs4
> > 	make install
> > does:
> > 	install -c -m 755 gs /usr/local/bin/gs
> > So our GNU version of gs gets trampled by the commercial Aladdin gs,
> > I'd rather expected it to be installed as bin/gs4....
>
> Ok, let's discuss that now, but ... I was aware of this ...
>
> The reason for me not to change the default path and program name
> (/usr/local/bin/gs) was, that all ghostscript ports in the past
> did it the same way and I didn't want to break something ...
>
> For example ghostview looks for /usr/local/bin/gs and _not_ gs4
> or whatelse ... I think, that the ordinary ghostscript user doesn't
> look or differentiate between different copyright (GNU / Aladdin)
> I think the user only wants the latest and greatest version.

If you want to have this port replace the GNU gs as the latest
and the greatest, I would like to mention that at least version
3.51 did not run completely the same as GNU gs, I think the
margins where a bit different and more importantly it broke
my faxsystem (mgetty+sendfax) since the g3 files it generates
break on a lot of faxmachines.

I don't know if this is fixed now, but it was a clear reason for
me to switch back to GNU gs.

Marc.
Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl