Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:21:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crashes on 4.5-RELEASE

:...
:>    in a heavily loaded environment would be enough to cause the output
:>    buffer to grow to a considerable size.
:
:Yes, that's certainly possible. Can someone who has a crash dump
:handy run
:
:	netstat -m -N kernel.X -M vmcore.X
:
:to get the mbuf stats? I think with TCP the buildup would be much
:slower, as a (as far as I remember) retransmits are limited. In
:-CURRENT (which is the only place I have seen the IPFW/NFS mbuf
:exhaustion) I think sosend() was returning EPERM, but the mbufs
:were still building up. That may be a new bug somewhere.
:
:Ian

    If I remember right there are no retransmits with a TCP mount, but
    if you have a lot of client processes banging out NFS requests and
    one direction of the TCP link stalls you can get a build up.  This
    would be further irritated by nfsiod doing look-aheads.

    I do not know if the build-up itself is even responsible... it could
    very well be the *rate* of the build-up... i.e. a sudden burst of
    a hundred kilobytes all at once might not exhaust the mbuf
    pool, but it could certainly exhaust our free page reserve and prevent
    an interrupt from being able to allocate an mbuf temporarily.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>