Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:41:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, proff@suburbia.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs

> > OSx5.1 (ye olde syvr3/4.2bsd mix) from Pyramid nhad a "conditional"
> > symbolic link (if I remember right) worked something like this:
>
> Yeah, and you also had this stupid "universe" command for
> selecting the symlink value and you could only have a predefined
> # of universes.  No thanks, I wanted something a little more general. :-)

Move the process environment into the kernel on the other side of a
system call, and you can have all the variant links your crooked
little heart desires.

The big problem is the POSIX execve() families envp parameter; if you
can decide to do away with that, or to handle it by importing it into
the template process, then the last remaining issue is resolved.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---