Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2018 14:53:41 +0100
From:      Norman Gray <norman.gray@glasgow.ac.uk>
To:        wes Frazier <wes.frazier@members.fsf.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resolving package conflicts (pkg set -o?)

Wez and all, hello.

On 13 Aug 2018, at 14:09, wes Frazier wrote:

> I am curious about this too. I am currently living with a conflict
> between lang/chicken and lang/mono over the 'csi' binary; and I would
> appreciate knowing what the proper solution is.

Also, I think there are two distinguishable problems here:

   1. Two packages install incompatible programs with the same name; eg,
Wez's case of chicken and mono both having a binary called 'csi', and
the two 'csi' programs have nothing to do with one another.

   2. Two packages install 'the same' program built different ways; eg,
my case of openldap-client and openldap-sasl-client both installing a
slapd daemon.

Since the two packages in case 2 install software built with different
options, there will be at least some cases where the installed programs
_aren't_ functionally 'the same', so perhaps these cases aren't as
distinct as they appear at first.

Case 1 could be partly handled by installing with a prefix, thus
chicken-csi and mono-csi.  However, that would only work for packages
where there isn't a dependency which depends on particular programs
being present.

This clearly isn't a trivial issue, but I hope there's a best practice
recommendable.

Best wishes,

Norman

--