Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 03:35:00 -0500
From:      Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Craig Harding wrote:
>
> > Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > > I have one of these cards (STB Velocity 4400) and use it with
> > > XFree86 3.3.3.1's SVGA server, no problems.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > It's certainly correct that nothing supports the 3D features at all
> > > at this time.  Heck, even for windows I have yet to see anything
> > > which purports to take advantage of the Riva TNT chipset to a degree
> > > close to what games are routinely doing with the Voodoo chipsets,
> > > and this is supposed to be a comparable architecture.  We'll
> > > certainly not see its abilities exploited to the fullest by DirectX,
> > > that's for sure.
> >
> > Actually a lot of PC games are now primarily supporting Direct 3D for
> > hardware acceleration rather than 3dfx as they used to, and for these
> > games the TNT boards are strongly recommended as a top performer. Eg
> > for Apache-Havoc, the new (insanely great - plug, plug) helo
> > flightsim from Razorworks, the consensus is that TNT boards are
> > THE card to get for max performance.
>
> TNT is a nice card but the new ATI Rage is also supposed to be good. TNT2
> is going to be worth waiting for though...

I think I missed the initial discussion here, but...

If you're looking for hardware accelerated 3D support on FreeBSD, see:

  http://www.xig.com/Pages/3D%20AX%20Page.html

And more specifically:

  http://www.xig.com/Pages/PRMar99ES.html

I'm supposed to be seeing their EV2 release soon, which works on FreeBSD
3.1.  I've currently got a Number9 Revolution IV 32M card (it was
reasonably cheap, is supported).  But I'm not running Windows at all and
I'm not thinking about gaming with this card (I just want hardware
accelerated OpenGL on FreeBSD).

The last time I asked (several months ago), Xi was still trying to get
the necessary information from vendors to support additional chipsets.

Daniel
~~~~~~