Date:      13 Apr 1999 12:41:04 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Kevin Van maren <vanmaren@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: H.323 support for natd

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:54:32 -0600 (MDT), Kevin Van maren <vanmaren@cs.utah.edu> said:

Kevin> Is anyone working on adding support for H.323 (used for video
Kevin> conferencing, like M$ netneeting, and Intel video cameras) to
Kevin> libalias?

H.323 is a nightmare of a protocol, obviously designed by committee,
not coders. There are a couple random ports selected where the client
and server rendezvous to then decide on which ports they really want
to use for the data. Client/server address and port are transmitted
in the payload rather than the IP header. This means the NAT (or
proxy) would have to follow this gross port negotiation by grubbing
through the payload. The protocol is yet another ITU production so the
specs aren't on line like RFCs.

I wrote a paper on NetMeeting security concerns a while back
(www.shenton.org/~chris/nasa-hq/netmeeting/) and came to the
conclusion that it was too difficult to proxy and therefore
unsafe. The audio/video isn't bad, it's the app sharing that will kill
you. Now there are a couple firewall vendors out there who do have
application layer proxies (Raptor is one I think) so that might be a
place to start. Make sure any NAT, proxy or whatnot gives you fine
control over what's passed and by whom else all you're doing is
rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

We insisted on decent security before we'd deploy because NetMeeting's
application sharing gives remote users access to anything on your
machine or LAN that you have access to, trivially, and there's
nothing like strong user-level authentication built into it.