Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:00:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Monday, 15 March 1999 at 13:07:34 -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 12 March 1999 at 15:19:41 -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>>
>>>      Once the plex has been created, you need to use names like
>>> "/dev/da1" instead of "/dev/da1c" (the man page is wrong).  Just drop
>>> the partition letter and use the name of the disk slice.
>>
>> This is a little confusing, even to me.  I assume that you're talking
>> about the 'read' command, which requires slice names and not partition
>> names.  But the bug that did sneak into the man page has been fixed
>> again (though it might be on 3.1-RELEASE), and in later versions you
>> should use 'start' without any parameters rather than 'read', which
>> was a real pain.
>
>      Brad seems to have been bitten by the same "gotcha" as me: we both
> seem to have read "http://www.lemis.com/vinum.4.txt" or the equivalent.
> This page talks about the incorrect use of:
>
> 	vinum_slices="/dev/da1h /dev/da2h /dev/da3h /dev/da4h /dev/da5h"
>
> (The 3-1.RELEASE man page is correct, but I assumed that your page was
> more up-to-date.  ;-)

Oh.

Yes, you're right.  Well, you were :-) I've fixed it now.  Thanks for
pointing that out.  This business with 'read' was suboptimal from the
beginning, but I think it was correct to change it the way I did.  The
intention is to use 'read' for maintenance or recovery when you have a
number of disks from online servers inserted into a spare machine, and
you only want to start some of them.

>      You are, of course, correct -- I was referring to the read
> command (I shouldn't, perhaps, be using compatibility slices -- I'm
> using "dangerously dedicated" disks and have gotten into the bad habit
> of using compatibility slices for these).

That in itself shouldn't be a problem.

Greg