Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:27:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't build tk41 port

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Dave Babler wrote:

> Okay, now I am *really* confused. I'm trying to build 'expect', which
> needs tk4.1 which needs tcl, which needs...? Under 2.1.5, I could build
> tk4.1, now I can't build it under 2.1.6. I also now don't seem to be
> able to build tk-3.6 (dies in tkEvent.c, 'tcl_AsyncReady' undeclared).
> Uninstalling the whole mess and starting from scratch now, *nothing* seems
> to build and there really doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it.
> The only way I know to approach this is to start with the final product
> (building expect)  and work backwards, but this seems to lead me in an
> ever-descending spiral, breaking things as I go.

Maybe 6 months ago, tcl was brought into current, and the tk41 port was
made to compile for a tcl that was installed with the system.  At that
point, you could no longer use the tk41 port to make tk41 on an older
(which means 2.1.5) system.

Expect depends on both tcl and tk, naturally.  Why don't you use the tk41
and tcl75 ports from the 2.1.5 cd?  The software on that cd doesn't know
about tcl being brought into FreeBSD, and should compile fine on your
system.  If you don't have the cd handy, tell me, I'll dig it out, get all
3 ports (expect, tcl75, and tk41) from it and mail them to you.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |