Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:34:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   Re: NFS in Sun environment

>    I think I understand the weak authentication problem that NFS on non-Sun
> platforms has when trying to mount a Sun exported NIS NFS disk.  So, since
> I don't run the Sun servers I'm trying to work around this.  One of the
> things that we do have is pcnfsd running to allow PC's to authenticate
> themselves when they want to mount NFS stuff.  Usually this is intended
> for product like Netmanage ChameleonNFS.
>
>    Is there any way that I can convince mount to contact a pcnfsd for
> authentication when doing a mount to a Sun System?  This would allow me
> to get around this problem using an already existing solution.  If not,
> any ideas how hard it would be to cobble up a mount_nfs to do this?

man mount_nfs:
[ ... ]
     -P      Use a reserved socket port number.  This is useful for mounting
             servers that require clients to use a reserved port number on the
             mistaken belief that this makes NFS more secure. (For the rare
             case where the client has a trusted root account but untrusworthy
             users and the network cables are in secure areas this does help,
             but for normal desktop clients this does not apply.)

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.