Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:37:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Bongert <dbongert@ssc.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2/3.3 Installation problems

I have an eMachines 366id (366 Celeron + DVD drive) that I've been
running RedHat Linux + Win98 on for the past few months (sharing the 4
Gb HD). I bought a 13 Gb hard drive for my Windows games, and was going
to trash the Linux install (to repartition and fill the 4Gb of the
HD), and thought why not give FreeBSD a try (I had used NetBSD on a Sun
3 a year or so ago). I downloaded the tree to my C: drive (plenty of
room + cable modem) ,finished the install fine, and installed the
FreeBSD boot loader, but can't boot off the BSD partition. I'm at work
now, and can't remember exactly what it said, but it seemed that the
boot loader thought that the second HD wasn't bootable.

Can I do this setup?

Primary Master:   new 13 Gb HD
Primary Slave:    empty--screwy case layout won't let me put the 4Gb as
                  slave
Secondary Master: CD-ROM
Secondary Slave:  4Gb FreeBSD partition

I read that boot loaders (specifically LILO) sometimes have a problem
with big disks, and secondary IDE stuff. Any ideas?

--
Dan Bongert                     dbongert@ssc.wisc.edu
SSCC Unix System Administrator  (608) 262-9857