Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:24:25 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        Byung Yang <freebsd@nowcool.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cpu name

Byung Yang wrote:

> supped && made world a min ago:
> check out the CPU: name
> I am using AMD K6-2 333Mhz
>
> CPU: \^E (334.40-MHz 586-class CPU)

Hmm, let me guess... probably you are compiling your kernel with -O3 (or
higher)? If so, try to remove /sys/compile/MYKERNEL and compile with -O or with
-O2. Some time ago I've also stuck to this optimizer bug and we have long
discussion with core members about it until I've occasionally rebuild kernel
with -O and found that my K6-2 identified perfectly.

BTW it should be a rule of thumb to lower optimisation level before reporting
any bug. -O is considered relatively safe, while higher levels are unsupported
and you should use it at your own risk.

-Maxim